Saturday, September 29, 2012

Ten Breakup Songs - The Appendix

Okay, here a few more suggested by my loyal readers:

"Thank God and Greyhound (You're Gone)" Roy Clark

This song does nothing for me. It might be the fact that it's a country tune, but I think that for me the lyrics don't really ring true. It doesn't feel like it was written by someone who was emotionally invested. There's about as much feeling as someone saying "I'll call you" after a one night stand. I think it's more likely someone imagining what a breakup might have felt like.

"Somebody That I Used To Know" Gotye

This is a good one. I feel find of silly for leaving it off the list. In fact, this one would probably be in the top five if I had to force rank them right now. I love the imagery in this song. The sadness in his voice feels real, palpable and raw. What an interesting artistic choice to have the ex's response, and to have the author come off as the jerk. It makes the feeling all the more real. The video is pretty good too.

"Gives You Hell" The All-American Rejects

It's a catchy tune with a cute video, but it doesn't really connect with me. The author seems to have made his happiness dependent on his ex's unhappiness or regret. If you are waiting for an ex to "wake the fuck up" and regret leaving you, you'd better pack a lunch, cause it ain't happening. That's a recipe for a long unhappy life.

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment