Saturday, October 30, 2010

Technology and Control

I bought an iPhone.

Wow. Seeing it in print still seems a little dirty to me.

I've been eyeing one of these beauties for a while, but it seemed like such an unnecessary expense I just couldn't bring myself to absorb it. Unfortunately for my wallet, my old phone stopped working and my birthday was this week, so I decided to treat myself to something nice. And I must say, this phone is better than sex.

Well, at least sex the way I do it.

It does everything and more. I thought my Palm Pre was pretty cool, but this thing BLOWS it away. I mean, it's not even a close race. I had my first video call Tuesday - the boss called to wish me a happy birthday. Yes, I now need to make sure I'm wearing pants before I pick up. How's that for a phone? Stock updates, games, texting. Oh my, I'm getting a little flushed.

I need a minute.

That's better.

I recommend that all of you immediately run out and buy one of these bad boys and immediately call me to check out the video capabilities. It's like the Jetsons - but BETTER.

Did you check out the Jetsons link? The whole thing with George giving his wife Jane cash from his wallet is so horribly dated. Both socially and economically. I mean, who uses cash anymore? And the gender roles? Oh my...


George Jetson didn't have anything as cool as an iPhone. Those big desktop video phones that they had in the cartoons were a joke.

My only gripe is that it seems to be really slow in syncing with my iTunes account. That may have something to do with the fact my iTunes account is now well over 30 gigabytes. Other than that, just wow.

So why get a smart phone anyway? I mean beyond the "cool" factor. I think it might be a question of control. A smart phone puts the world at your fingertips. I have instant access to the entire internet to make better and faster decisions. It opens up the world. Whether I'm trying to find the nearest Wi-Fi hotspot, a YouTube video of cute kittens, Uncle Dave's address or the conference room for my 10:00 meeting, I have instant access at my fingertips.

I'm learning that having instant access to information isn't the same as controlling outside events. It might help me to make better decisions but it doesn't really give me any control over the negative things in my life. Shit still happens, no matter how well prepared I think I am.

The Professor penned a great story that illustrates this very fact. When the zombie apocalypse happens (and it will) your iPhone won't save you.

Check out that link. I'll wait...


But I'm beginning to think the idea of control is an illusion. It becomes an inhibitor to "letting go" and moving on. Sometimes we need to relinquish control if we're going to make any progress. I think it's like surviving a riptide. If you try to fight the current, eventually you'll tire and drown. The only way to save yourself is to give up control and let the rip tide take you until the current relents and you can swim back to shore.

I think this fact is what makes faith and religion so attractive. It absolves us of control. We believe in God or Karma or magic as a method to relinquish control. If bad things happen, it's "God's will". If good things happen, it's "God's will". No matter what happens it's "God's will". If we believe in an outside entity it gives a purpose to all the hate, war and suffering in the world. People bleed and suffer and die for a reason - God's will.

Without God or some "higher purpose", suffering is just suffering. It's a very bleak thought.

Bummer.


I think I am slowly beginning to accept the fact that I have no control over the divorce process, and really, at the root this whole mess is about control. The Ex is only concerned with one thing at this point - winning. Her objective is to exert her will over me. To control me. It's about revenge and spite, not the dissolution of our marriage. It's about righting old wrongs - real or imagined. It's about winning at all costs and hurting me in any way possible.

The funny thing is that in the end we're both going to lose. Neither one of us is going to walk away whole. We both end up broken.

At some point we'll both realize just how far off the rails this process has gotten and we'll compromise. It may be ten years or more, but at some point bygones become bygones.

Maybe at that point we'll even become friends again. Who can say? It's God's will...

2 comments:

  1. Believe it or not, I'm one of the 5% of Americans who don't have a cell phone. That whole cell phone passage was suggested by Liz Gorinsky, Tor's editor. Normally you hear writers bitching about editors but she's aces in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please note, when caught in a rip tide: Swim parallel to the beach shore to swim out of it. Don't let it pull you out to sea.
    I have no idea why I know this. I live on top of a mountain, already covered with snow and ski areas open for business within 10 minutes of my front door. No rip tides around here.

    ReplyDelete