Friday, October 8, 2010

We All Die Alone

This is not my best work. I had two comedic posts ready to go, but this week has been so crappy I had to puke this out. In fact, "puking out" is an apt metaphor. Until I get garbage like this out I have a hell of a time moving on. I don't necessarily feel this way any more - consider it a picture of a moment in time.

If this was a song, it'd be a 'B' side. Definitely not album material, but not quite bad enough for the wastebasket. Hopefully I'll feel better by Sunday and I'll get the good stuff out.

You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. - Exodus 20:16


Lately, I've been in a very dark place. It seems like my entire existence is based on lies, betrayal and failure. My wife has cut me off from almost all contact with my children, the courts are unable to help and every day it seems I am being falsely accused of a new crime. Fighting back is out of the question, as I am unwilling and unable to hurt my kids - their mother has done more than enough of that. I am being buried under a thick black cloud of anger and hate and all I can do is "abide".

I am becoming comfortable with betrayal. My wife betrayed me when she left me. My children betrayed me at the urging of my wife when they lied to the authorities. My mother-in-law betrayed me when she signed the falsified affidavit provided by my wife. And now I have come to find out that my best friend betrayed me when he chose not to tell me what my wife had planned - from her abandonment all the way through her false accusations of child abuse.

But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death. - Revelations 21:8

I don't handle failure very well. I'm okay with losing. If you lose, someone else beat you. When you fail you beat yourself. I've seen and experienced a lot of failure lately. The obvious failure of my marriage. My failure in protecting my children from my ex-wife's manipulations. My failures at work. My failures toward my friends and family.

If I had been smarter or more attentive could I have stopped any of this? Probably not. My ex-wife made her decision. My failure was in choosing to marry her in the first place. I overlooked her obvious character flaws - her inability to tell right from wrong, her manipulative nature, her deceitfulness, her callous disregard for the feelings of others, her inability to recognize her mistakes. I saw all this, but I ignored it. I ignored the obvious because I thought that "love" would be enough to plaster over her problems. I thought that I could help her, to change her. I was so very wrong and now my children get to pay the price for my mistake.

There are six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers. - Proverbs 6:16-19

I failed in so many ways.

Up until very recently, the worst day of my life was November 20th, 2001. That was the day my father died. You should understand that my father was my best friend and role model. He was (and is) the standard that I try to live my life to. The day he was taken from me was the saddest day of my life.

I was with him when he passed. I travelled from Kansas City to be with him at the end. For some reason it was important to me that he not die alone. You have to understand that my mother never really cared for my father the entire time I was growing up. And she certainly wasn't about to start after he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in February. I think the only reason they stayed married was because, to my father, a "promise is a promise" and my mother had nowhere else to go.

My father's end was long and painful, as is typical for this disease. The tumors spread throughout the digestive tract, slowly and steadily choking off all flow. The final end is caused by starvation and dehydration. It's a terrible way to die, even with morphine.

Prior to his death, my wife had chosen to return to Kansas City because she "didn't like hospitals." She was very selfish that way. She is very selfish about everything. My wife will offer some excuse related to her pregnancy - that she couldn't fly.  She had no trouble flying to Cleveland, or flying back to Kansas City, but apparently staying the additional four days was out of the question. She actually returned to Kansas City to work - her job waiting tables was more important to her. Throughout our marriage I could always count on my wife not being there when I needed her most. My son wasn't due for over five weeks and to the best of my knowledge they had hospitals and doctors in Cleveland. No, she chose not to be there. Life is about choices and I could always count on my wife to make bad ones.

Let's not kid ourselves, my ex-wife is not a nice person. Or a good person. No, when you coerce your only son to bear false witness against his father for your own gain you are no longer a good person.

A false witness will not go unpunished, and he who breathes out lies will not escape. - Proverbs 19:5

When my Dad finally passed I was holding his hand. He had no idea I was there. For all intents and purposes, he was alone. He was unconscious for at least twelve hours before death finally came, but even unconscious he still suffered. His face was continuously pinched with pain. When the last death rattle passed I collapsed and could only ask "How am I supposed to do this alone?" I have no idea who I expected to answer in that cold, empty room. Where was God while my father spent more than two days suffering and dying? I was there, and I can tell you that much like my wife, God did not show up to comfort my father.

After my Dad passed, I was alone. Perhaps I was always alone. Are we all born from the dark only to return whence we came?

"We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone." - Orson Welles


 How would you know if your life was an illusion?

2 comments:

  1. I thought I was having a terrible day but it doesn't measure up. Do you have a time frame to get this over with? Some states just prolong things endlessly (to promote family values).

    The one glimmer of light is that in most every case I know of when a parent uses children as a weapon, it turns around to bite them. My cousin's daughter who was coached into accusing him of molesting her, now remembers what happenned and realizes what her mother was doing. She hates her mom so much now that it's frightening.

    I won't spin bullshit that everything works out because obviously it doesn't always. Your ex won't be able to turn off the poison which could drive your kids to you.

    I wish I could think of something funny but I'm about tapped out. This is the time for the zombies to rise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to see that you realize what a real mean bitch your ex could be. I lost all respect and caring for her when she told me that Geneva should have fallen down a flight of stairs when she found out she was pregnant. How could anyone but a miserable person tell a mother that about her daughter and soon to be grandson. I never told you she had said that, I just held the grudge. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete